[thelist] Exact Printing of Sites (long-ish)

M. Seyon evoltlist at delime.com
Thu Dec 22 20:07:49 CST 2005

Message from Jeffery To (12/23/2005 09:59 AM)

>On 12/21/05, Jay Blanchard <jay.blanchard at thermon.com> wrote:
> > As for business cases against exact printing, I am unfamiliar with any
> > studies on the subject...and a quick Google leads me to believe that no
> > study exists on the subject, but it may be part of a usability study. There
>
>Going through usability studies sounds like the way to go. A quick
>Google search doesn't pinpoint any particular studies at the moment
>though, so no joy yet.

Use cases may help too. If you can come up with scenarios for *why* someone
would print a webpage, you may be able to determine what elements are and
aren't necessary/desirable.

For example, John Smith wants to read an article from your site but he is
in a rush so he decides to print it to read on the train. He can already
see the bus coming down the street. A text-only article will print in 8
seconds, the graphic-intensive version will take 25 seconds. Does he have
that extra 17 seconds to spare or will it make him miss the bus?

regards.
-marc