[thelist] character encoding in coldfusion site using xml as data source

Sarah Adams mrsanders at designshift.com
Fri Dec 23 07:44:41 CST 2005

I have a small ColdFusion online store that is using an XML file as the
data source for the catalog. It is a German site so there are a lot of
accented characters throughout the site, and in the XML. With liberal
use of the following line, I managed to get most of the accented
characters in the site to display properly:

   <cfprocessingdirective pageencoding="iso-8859-1">

But still all of the accented characters in the XML will not display
correctly. I tried adding the following to the XML:

   <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" ?>

But then I get the ColdFusion error "XML declaration may only begin
entities." Any suggestions as to how I can set encoding for the XML file
without throwing this error?

--
sarah adams
web developer & programmer