[thelist] Exact Printing of Sites (long-ish)

aardvark evolt at roselli.org
Fri Dec 23 09:27:28 CST 2005

On 23 Dec 2005 at 10:21, Jeffery To wrote:
[...]
> Thanks for your points. Some of them ring true for me (wasted toner,
> black and white images); others can be controlled with a print
> stylesheet (set font size in points, replace plugins with static
> images).

but isn't the scenario here that you are required to make the page
print *exactly* as it looks on screen? that's why my points were
addressing -- so you could argue against it...

> I guess I'm of two minds on printing. On one hand, I just want to
> print the information and none of the extra stuff. On the other hand,
> I want to control the content area of the printed page like how I can
> control the content area of the browser window and have everything
> look pretty.
[...]

well, you can't... people have some control over printing, and when
it collides with any control the author puts in place, the user
loses...

that's why i require sites we build to have print stylesheets that
*remove* styles -- page widths, font sizes, colors, navigation,
etc... this way the user can decide things like paper size, margins,
paper orientation, etc., and not have my page hose that...

i'll be curious to heat the final outcome on this -- whether you go
with print styles to remove elements, or are required to make the
page look as it does on screen...

good luck...