[thelist] ASP logic problem - deleting record

Pringle, Ron RPringle at aurora-il.org
Thu Dec 29 10:48:37 CST 2005

> If you give them an update/edit/reschedule function, they'll be likely
> to follow their nose rather than deleting the event, and then readding
> it. Without seeing the form it's hard to say, but if you're
> giving them
> a choice to delete a part of an event rather than clearly labeling the
> button or link 'Delete This Event', they may be confused.
>
> I'm just finishing an online calendar meself, and the edit function is
> real popular with the client.
>
> joel

I think the confusing part is that there can be multiple dates for an event.
However, when you choose to "delete" an event, its not entirely apparent
that you're deleting that event for ALL the dates it is scheduled for. The
end user doesn't really know that the database schema is one (event) to many
(dates). To them its not "City Council Meeting at 12/23/05 and 01/13/06";
its "City Council Meeting at 12/23/05 and City Council Meeting at 01/13/06".

They may want to delete "City Council Meeting at 12/23/05" because its been
cancelled, but what would happen is they would delete the City Council
Meeting at ALL dates if they deleted the actual event.

Perhaps I shouldn't have normalized the database and instead should have
left the date as a field in the event table. It would have made
deleting/editing the records a hell of a lot easier! However, with the date
in a separate table, I only have to edit one of the committee events once to
have it apply to all dates.

Ron