[thelist] sorting recordset problems

Canfield, Joel JCanfield at PacAdvantage.org
Wed Jan 4 14:02:37 CST 2006

> I need to sort by Month (most recent month first) and then by
> day.

Off the top of my head:

 * sorting in VBScript can be a nightmare
 * can you sort your query by a substring of the file name, or by two
substrings?
 * for the month, you'd also have to include a CASE statement so you
could sort descending on the number of the month. There's no logical way
to sort the names of the months.

Anywhere I'm allowed (and some places I'm not) I enforce CCYYMMDD dates
exclusively, to sorting is simple and conversion to other formats
relatively simple.

joel