[thelist] are bots submitting my form?

Lee Kowalkowski lee.kowalkowski at lycos.com
Fri Jan 13 05:18:16 CST 2006

> From: liz at zolabola.com
>
> I have a simple webform on a site
> But the darn form keeps coming in completely empty!!!  ...sometimes it
> comes in filled in with data, too ...so I know it works ...at least I
> think it does.  Feel free to try it.

Your JS allows spaces in its mandatory fields.  Client-side validation can also be bypassed if the user types something like "javascript:document.forms[0].submit()" in the address bar, which could be used to submit a form no matter what it contains.  Also if JS is switched off, obviously.

If you're getting so many blanks then I would perhaps think somebody is doing it deliberately.  Think back, have you upset anybody recently?

I don't see any reason why bots can't submit forms without entering data, JS is no prevention.  I don't know if any search bots attempt blank form submissions, I don't know why they'd want to.

You need validation on the server if you want to prevent this.

- LK