[thelist] Backing up data on a unix server

Dan McCullough dan.mccullough at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 14:16:45 CST 2006

-- db --

#!/bin/sh
#backup.sh

date=`date -I`
/opt/mysql/bin/mysqldump --opt --quote-names -u user -ppass db | gzip
> /var/backup/arch-bak-$date.sql.gz

files just create a bash where you tar up the files, with date and
then ftp or sftp or scp the files off.  you can also store the files
in a location if you have enough storage.  one thing to keep your eye
on is your monthly bandwidth, some files can get pretty big and moving
them off the server nightly can be taxing.