[thelist] Dot Net / Browser Rendering Capacity Question

michael ensor edc at wnc.quik.co.nz
Fri Jan 20 14:51:34 CST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Luther, Ron"
Sent: Saturday, January 21, 2006 3:22 AM
Subject: [thelist] Dot Net / Browser Rendering Capacity Question

: Hi Folks,
:
: A bit of background:
: We have quite a few reports where we pull info from a database
: and present the data in tabular form.  In the past we used to
: build our 'summary level' reports in ASP and our 'detail level'
: reports in Brio because Brio used a browser plug-in that enabled
: users to see "really big datasets".
:
: When we tried to do 'detail level' reporting in ASP it would
: blow up on us.  ;-(
:
: [I suspect it was a browser capacity issue where the IE
: rendering engine would get overwhelmed trying to render a
: table containing 40 or 50 columns and 250,000 or more rows and
: just die on us.  I don't think it was an actual limitation of
: ASP per se.]
:
:
: Question:
: Am I likely to run into the same problems trying to build 'detail
: level' reports in dot net? ... or is there some 'simple magic'
: in dot net that I can invoke without too much trouble to get
: this kind of thing [big table displays] to work.
:
:
: Not looking so much for the details behind the magic at this
: point ... just looking to see if anyone has done this kind
: of thing in dot net or if this is likely to be a dead end.
:
:
:
: Thanks!!
:
: RonL.
: --

Rule of thumb: If it won't fit in Excel forget it....................the recommended
practical limit for an intranet is 3 meg......