[thelist] Is supressing the incorrect display of alt text in IE a good thing

VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 15:48:00 CST 2006

> Well, it deletes all alternative text, and that is a bad thing... If a
> crappy browser displays a non-visual attribute we shouldn't turn off
> because of that reason.

That's why I filtered it with

 if(document.all) ...

AFAIK only IE in the world understands the propriety document.all syntax.

>Visitors without Images but JavaScript turned
> on will not get any alternatives...

That's right. Visitors using internet explorer, having images turned
off but js turned on for some reason will not get any alternatives.

If it is possible to detect whether images are turned on or off via
JS, that may be a solution.

if js disabled -> Alt text will be displayed incorrectly as a tooltip.
Nothing to do.
if js but no image -> if we can detect, we will not clear the alt text.
if js and image -> remove the alt text.

Is there any luck in detecting the disabled property of images?

Cheers,
--
Volkan Ozcelik
+>Yep! I'm blogging! : http://www.volkanozcelik.com/volkanozcelik/blog/