[thelist] tip: use other search engines

kasimir-k evolt at kasimir-k.fi
Wed Jan 25 09:43:03 CST 2006

Ian Anderson scribeva in 25/01/2006 13:54:
> Automatically censoring the results based on the user's location isn't a
> new practice.
> I don't see how they could responsibly do anything else; I think they do
> have an obligation to respect the laws of the country in which the
> service is used.

Yes, some countries prohibit publishing certain types of content - but
my view is that the responsibility should be on the publishers, not
search engines. If a search engine agrees to censor its results, it
should at very least inform its users about this. And it should not
claim it does no evil :-)

Christian Heilmann scribeva in 25/01/2006 14:03:
> That is still no tip, but an opinion, bordering on Propaganda. Without
> knowing the business or legal implications that have driven Google to
> the decision it is too easy to wave the blue ribbon and be agitated.

Yes, I guess you are right. But I think there was a tip too in my
propaganda: "...but also about getting wider view on the web". It still
is a good idea not to limit to using only one search engine.

I do apologize posting politically motivated tip.

While this is not the right forum to wave the blue ribbon, to get
agitated it's enough to read Google's philosophy:
http://www.google.com/corporate/tenthings.html

Google is no more "evil" than any other search engine, but no less
either, even though they claim to be.

Well, anyhow, I guess I owe a less political tip :-)

<tip type="PHP image functions and memory" author="kasimir k">

PHP's imagecreatefromjpeg function may be a cause for very difficult to
find bugs: even when operating with moderatly sized images, it can eat
up all memory, as it must uncompress the image and has quite big
overhead at that.

You'll find some ways to deal with these images in users' notes at
http://php.net/imagecreatefromjpeg

Another gotcha are the file permissions: if you ftp an image to the
server, apache may be unable to read the file.

</tip>

.k