[thelist] tip: use other search engines

rob clayburn rob at pollen-8.co.uk
Thu Jan 26 07:39:18 CST 2006

> So a company is helping a country to suppress its citizens and we cannot
> think anything of it? You sound like the Chinese government itself: "You
> don't have to think. We know what's best for you".

I've just finished reading "The Search" by John Battelle (excellent read
by the way). I don't have it to hand at the moment but it discusses this
issue and apparently Google's stand is that even if it listed those
site's banned by the Chinese government, Chinese user's wouldn't be able
to view them. Thus the usability of their site would be diminished -
being littered with pages people couldn't reach

Of course at the same time China represents a market that Google can't
really afford to ignore, so this argument could simply be construed as
an attempt to justify their compliance with the Chinese government

Rob