[thelist] Intranet Freezing

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Thu Feb 2 21:25:49 CST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org
[mailto:thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Robert Vreeland
Sent: Friday, 3 February 2006 12:39 PM
To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
Subject: Re: [thelist] Intranet Freezing

> Have you determine the process that is pegged out?

It may not be a "high-CPU" hang (i.e. maxed out CPU). It could be a "low-CPU"
hang (e.g. threads are blocked due to lock contention or similar).

> Likely something is using close to 100% of
> the cpu cycles, if it is w3wp.exe it's a web page(s).
> You can then kill the process, restart IIS

There is no need to restart IIS. Killing the w3wp.exe will cause a new one to
startup when the next request comes in.

Additionally, in the Application Pool configuration (IIS Manager ->
Application Pools -> locate your app pool name -> Properties -> Performance
tab) you can set the maximum CPU that the w3wp.exe process should be allowed
to use, and have it recycled automatically. However I don't belief this is a
good idea long term. Debugging the process is what's required.

Cheers
Ken