[thelist] Interesting - maybe already known - vulnerability of maxlength in MSIE and Opera

Lee Kowalkowski lee.kowalkowski at lycos.com
Tue Feb 7 07:31:08 CST 2006

> From: "Christian Heilmann" <codepo8 at gmail.com>
>
> I always knew that maxlength is untrustworthy, it has shifty eyes if
> you look closer!

We have an additional reason not to trust [a working] maxlength.

We found users sometimes fell into "the maxlength trap", and don't realise when a field has ignored keystrokes.

As a result, our maxlength values are always greater than permitted lengths, and we display an error message when the user enters too many characters.

- LK