[thelist] Logo Contest Question

Pringle, Ron RPringle at aurora-il.org
Tue Feb 7 11:31:39 CST 2006

> >Not to pick on you Mattias, but frankly, I'm amazed at this sort of
> >response. First off, to create a first rate logo takes a lot
> of time and
> >skill.
>
> Which many people passing themselves off as graphic designers do not
> possess, regardless of how much BS they may try to sell you on.

Absolutely agreed, which is why I included the phrase "first rate".
Obviously there are levels of skill in the design industry, as there are
in any.

> To me, taking a series of curves and shapes that are "in style" and
> applying whatever the going colours of the month are does not
> require all
> that much brainpower.

Agreed. This applies to pretty much any profession.

> You wouldn't try to sell your ten year old's fingerpaintings
> for the same
> as a Picasso or a Monet would you?

And I'm not trying to imply that $6,000 or whatever rates the GAG
mandates, is reasonable. I think that depends on the usage and a million
other variables. And certainly there are graphic designers out there who
do excellent work whose prices may not agree with GAG's.

I think my main point was that while you may be able to find pre-made
logos on the web for pennies on the dollar, and at times those may suit
your needs just fine, design, when done properly by a qualified
professional, is worth the money spent on it.

I understand that to a non-designer $6k may seem like a lot for a logo,
but when properly done there is a lot more work to it than meets the
layman's eye.

I do believe I owe a tip. Coming soon.

Regards,
Ron