[thelist] falling floats

jono at charlestonwebsolutions.com jono at charlestonwebsolutions.com
Fri Feb 10 07:57:41 CST 2006

>> From: "kasimir-k" <evolt at kasimir-k.fi>
>>
>> Change 30% to 29.5% and the side boxes drop no more.
>
> ...or just set the left or right margin of all columns to -1px to cancel
> potential rounding errors.
>
> (If your columns have borders, you may also need to compensate for those.)
>
> - LK

I have applied the 29.5% width to the sidebar, and that does work
(thanks!), but it does bother me a bit because I have a fluid layout, and
the background image's (faux columns) position depends on the percentage
widths.  Having half percents doesn't seem like a good idea...but it does
work, and checks out OK in all the broswers, so maybe I should not worry?

I fear that the -1px margin will cause issue with the bg image getting cut
off, but I will try it out, see how it goes, and past a link with both
methods applied.

It still seems like there is something easier, or more obvious that I have
not thought of.  The 70/30 split is very common, yet you don't hear much
about it causing this type of problem?

--
Jono Young
Designer | Developer | Illustrator