[thelist] Gray Hairs - Google Mini

Rob Smith rob.smith at lexjet.com
Wed Feb 15 13:34:45 CST 2006

>Is this being used on an intranet or a public site? If the
>former, how many sites (and pages) are involved?

Internet - about 5,000 +/- 1,000 as business fluctuates.

>How satisfied are you with the appliance's relevance ranking?

Hands down one of the best boxes we've ever owned and at $3,000, it's a
steal. I wear my complimentary Google shirt proudly. When I wear it to
Data Centers, people look at me like I'm a God. I can read their lips as
if they're saying, "Does he work for Google!?"

Anywho, the following is a copy/paste from the Google Mini's Help
Center. It discusses about Making new Collections:

---

You, as administrator, can create a new collection of documents that can
be crawled, indexed, and served to end users. You can also import a
collection configuration that was previously exported from the
application. See Manage Existing Collections for details on exporting a
collection configuration.

The number of collections that can be created is determined by your
license. A message displays if the limit is exceeded.

Collection names can be up to 20 characters long and can contain only
alphanumerics, underscores, and dashes. Also, a collection name cannot
begin with a dash.

Important: Avoid naming your collections "search," "images," and
"groups." These words have special meanings in the Google Search
Appliance.

Combined Collections on Models GB-5005/8008
You may want to create a combined, or incremental, collection to deliver
a single set of search results from two collections. Only one combined
collection per Google Search Appliance is supported. On Model GB-5005,
you can have two independent collections or one combined collection. On
Model GB-8008, you can have five independent collections; or one
combined collection and three independent collections.

A combined collection lets you:

Crawl fresh content (incremental, combined collection)
Divide a very large collection, crawling half with "My_collection" and
half with "My_collection_incr" (combined collection)
A combined, or incremental, collection has the same name as another
collection, but with "_incr" appended to link the two collections in the
system. Combined collections and incremental collections are treated the
same way by the system. (For simplicity, we'll refer to them as
"combined.") A search query on "My_collection" returns results both on
"My_collection" and "My_collection_incr." Both the collection and the
combined collection have their own crawl configurations and schedule.

As an example, you can use a combined collection to crawl a news server
more frequently than other servers. "My_collection" may be configured to
crawl your intranet once every 7 days. "My_collection_incr" may be
configured to crawl a news server every 30 minutes. As long as
"My_collection_incr" is serving, a search query returns results from
both "My_collection" and "My_collection_incr."

You can create a subcollection under an "_incr" collection. If you have
a subcollection C_1 under the main collection and a subcollection C_1
under the combined collection, a search query in the main collection's
C_1 returns results from both C_1 subcollections.

If you create a combined collection, define the keywords and synonyms in
the main collection. They will then apply to both collections.

Rob Smith
LexJet
rob.smith at lexjet.com
http://www.lexjet.com