[thelist] [OT] Stolen laptop + Rails tip

Dan Parry dan at virtuawebtech.co.uk
Thu Feb 16 07:16:34 CST 2006

> c. Booting from a floppy or CD, do they get to see files on the hard disk?

Yep

> d. Can they reinstall Windows while preserving all the files and settings?

They can reinstall and preserve the files but not the programs and
settings... There is an option at install time to leave the file system
intact which would preserve all but the Windows folder (of course, registry
hives are destroyed so MRUs and program/env settings are killed)... Even My
Documents remains

Also the password can be broken by booting using WinPE Boot CD

This info is true for XP but I see no reason that it shouldn't be true for
2k so pinch of salt time maybe

HTH

Dan