[thelist] Some images not loading if Flash video on the same page

Clive Sweeney clive at designshift.com
Thu Feb 16 10:00:15 CST 2006

We have a page that includes a Flash video and everything seems to work
fine -- except in IE on the PC. The video loads and plays just fine.
It's large -- about 3MB -- but with a dynamic preloader it starts very
soon after the page loads (if it's a broadband connection). The problem
is that, for some reason, several other images on the page do not load
in IE, including parts of the navigation. The specific images that don't
load seem to vary with each attempt.

If we substitute a smaller Flash movie -- the one we tried was 10KB --
everything on the page loads just fine in IE, just as in the other
browsers.

One other thing. Normally when I try the page with the large video and
it doesn't work, if I then go to another site and then come back to the
video page, everything loads just fine.

If I can anthropomorphize a bit, it seems that IE gets into loading the
Flash movie and is just so darned busy, it "forgets" to load whatever
else is outstanding.

Does anyone have an idea what's wrong here and how to fix it?

::. clive
Durham NC