[thelist] Show of Hands - Your IT Staff Situation

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Thu Feb 16 17:28:28 CST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org
[mailto:thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Drew Shiel
Subject: Re: [thelist] Show of Hands - Your IT Staff Situation

At 14:37 16/02/2006, Rob Smith wrote:
>>Hey I was just curios about your IT situation? How
>>many people do you have staffed?
>
>   We have 9 people - 1.5 webmasters, 1 network guy/DBA,
> 1 analyst, 1 tech-savvy project manager, and 4.5 developers.
> I'm the webmaster, and one guy is half and half dev/web -
> when I'm running high, I give him stuff, and he handles
> some routine stuff anyway, while being a coder the rest
> of the time. The company owner can handle some code as
> well, but doesn't anymore except in emergencies.

I work in an IT consulting firm, about 3,000 employees worldwide. I think the
split is roughly 40% infrastructure, 40% developers, and the rest are PMs or
core staff. About 80% are MCSEs or MCSDs/MCADs. About 50% have other vendor
certs (CISSP, CCNA/CCIE/etc, PMP). No idea who has degrees (I personally have
a Masters). Internal IT has about 20 people, and additional consultants can
be pulled into internal engineering projects. We run three data centers
worldwide (Singapore, Seattle, London). We tend to focus on enterprise
projects (infrastructure or development). The high level of MS certifications
is due to the fact that the company is a private partnership between
Microsoft and Accenture. Our main business is as a systems integrator.

Cheers
Ken