[thelist] AJAX on Safari

John Dowdell jdowdell at adobe.com
Fri Feb 17 13:07:45 CST 2006

Joshua Olson wrote:
> I'm toying around with AJAX on Safari (1.0.3) and for some reason it simply
> won't work.  I did some digging and it looks like my Mac returns undefined
> when I make a call to "typeof XMLHttpRequest" and likewise trying to create
> a new XMLHttpRequest doesn't work.

I'm assuming, from your mention of XmlHttpRequest, that you're referring
to literal "AJaX", rather than the more literary "Ajax" or "AJAX" which
is used by marketers to describe any modern JavaScript work.

If so, then one possibility is that there's something in the browser
which prevents such work... David Peterson did some testing this week on
some of the subtle differences across current browsers:
http://www.mnot.net/blog/2006/01/23/test_xmlhttprequest

But it may also be that your JavaScript implementation is not supported
in that browser, even though other JavaScript handlings are... your
subsequent mention of testing on Google Suggest lends weight to this
possibility. Most JavaScript tutorials do not list which browsers they
tested-and-passed and tested-and-failed, so it can be hard to
troubleshoot from just a single example. I don't see any
browser-compatibility data on the DeGraeve site you linked, so this
remains a possibility too.

Jan Brasna wrote:
 > D'Oh, really 1.0.3? That's pretty ancient and has IMO no
 > idea about XHR.

How do you handle it when one of your audience members is using such a
browser?

jd

--
John Dowdell . Adobe Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
Weblog: http://weblogs.macromedia.com/jd