[thelist] Firefox 1.5 and XML

Tom Schmidt ildenizen at insightbb.com
Sat Feb 18 21:57:40 CST 2006

I have a working site that correctly uses ActiveXObject for Internet Explorer to load/parse an XML file.
So far so good, except that I would like this to work for some people I know who use Mozilla's Firefox browser.

I went over to w3schools and found a nice tutorial on how to "sniff" for support for these particular browsers and then appropriately load the XML file.  Below is the snippet from my javascript code:

  if (window.ActiveXObject)
  {
     xmlDoc = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM")
     xmlDoc.async=false
     xmlDoc.load(xmlFile)
  }
  else if (document.implementation && document.implementation.createDocument)
  {
     xmlDoc= document.implementation.createDocument("","",null)
     xmlDoc.load(xmlFile)
  }
  else
  {
    alert('Your browser cannot handle this script')
  }
  nodes=xmlDoc.documentElement.childNodes
  (additional code follows, but should be irrelevant to my problem)

However, while this still works for Internet Explorer, it gives me the following error with Firefox:
     Error: xmlDoc.documentElement has no properties

for the following line:
    nodes=xmlDoc.documentElement.childNodes

So my question is this - why?  Am I still missing some key element here?  Or have I abused IE and gotten away with success whilst bungling the script?

Any insights would be much welcome.

Tom