[thelist] XML help for static site `Mocha Cafe`

S.F. Alim salim at vodatel.com
Sun Feb 19 01:04:50 CST 2006

--
Chris Heilmann
--
thanks for your reply...

>> You are mixing and matching a lot here. It might be more helpful to
>> take a step back and check what you want to achieve and then pick the
>> technology to match.

i guess u are right? actually its like i want to store information of
product in xml or json format and retrieve it through javascript (Ajax) 'cuz
`Mocha Cafe` ppl requirement is to have all products information in one
page.

>> AJAX is just a method to use JavaScript and the XMLhttprequest to load
>> data from the backend without reloading the whole page - you just
>> replace the parts that change. From a server perspective it is the
>> same thing as a dynamic page sending data to the server and reloading
>> the whole page.

my suggestion was to have `Name of Product` which will be clickable. And DOM
window popup and shows image and information of that particular product
without reloading the whole page. first i thought of doing `show` and `hide`
method through javascript, but they have too many products to show on one
page and page will be very heavy with all those contents and images.

>> My tip: For any site these days - get a CMS (Joomla, typo3, hell even
>> WordPress) as it will enable others to change content without asking
>> you every two minutes for changes.

thanks for your tip, but i wanted to do it myself, since im not a programmer
and certainly i don't think like one, so i need help. so if u can help me it
will be great otherwise i will stick to old fashion way of designing ie when
name is click it will take him to new html page.

--------------------------------
--
Mark
--
>> You can just use flat files for your dynamic bits of info like the menu
>> etc. You'll want to make sure your pop-up blockers are running for this
>> site, but it's a good tutorial to get you started and likely enough to
>> do what you want when you're done:

http://www.tutorialized.com/tutorial/Using-Files-on-the-Server-File-System/1
0171

thanks for your reply too

i checked that tutorial in a flash but later on inshaAllah will go
thoroughly.
but my idea of doing it without any language like PHP or ASP. just simple
html and javascript.

if it is possible to this, than certainly i will go for it...

--
S. F. Alim