[thelist] Designing for the delay in live credit card verification

Bird, Graham Graham.Bird at rspb.org.uk
Wed Feb 22 10:26:44 CST 2006

Hi all,

The company I work for wants to implement live credit card verification.
This will probably cause up to a 10 second delay between clicking
"confirm purchase" and actually getting the "thankyou" page. (Of course
it may also return a "refused" error.)

Aside from whether we should do this or not...what is the best way to
design for this delay (and possible refusal error)?

I can think of three approaches:

1. include some text that warns of a potential delay and disable the
submit button with javascript to prevent multiple clicks
2. show an intermediary "processing" page
3. both of the above

Has anyone had to do this? If so, what solution did you come up with?

Cheers,

Graham