[thelist] European Linux Dedicated Server Host

Hershel Robinson hershelr at netvision.net.il
Thu Feb 23 08:23:59 CST 2006

> My opinion is that redundancy is key. Every system can have some downtime, and
> it always happens at the worst moment...
> What I do is host the DNS of the domainname on zoneedit.org , there I setup
> five nameservers in different continents, and different ip address ranges.
> The I setup the primary email server pointing to my own server, and as
> secondary server I use their mailbackup service (secondary etc mailserver
> could also be used). This means if my server is down, they save the mail on
> their servers, until mine is back up, and deliver it then.
> This has saved my neck on many an occasion.

If I understand you correctly, the mail is on your server and if your
server goes down, the mail is saved on another server, but not delivered
(via POP3 presumably you mean) until your server is up.

If so, then what have you accomplished? Just that no mail is lost? The
mail is still not delivered until your server is up--thus the mail
delivery is still dependent on one server.

Oh, maybe you mean to say that when yours is down they can access the
mail via web interface so it's not as though they can't get their mail
at all. This is good for mail arriving after your server went down, but
what about mail that arrived while your server was up, is sitting there
waiting to be downloaded, and then your server goes down? That mail is
stuck there.

Or maybe I didn't follow you.

If I did howver, then OK, I realize that this is the basic issue and
that every server goes down occasionally. The office manager of my
corporation is correct, however, in his assessment that the server we
have received from THIS particular host has not been satisfactory.

Thanks,
Hershel