[thelist] Activating ActiveX Controls

Magnus Jönsson Magnus.Joensson at jensofsweden.com
Wed Mar 1 07:30:16 CST 2006

Hey,

Microsoft wants us to tweak our pages, and it's making me nauseous.

I read some disturbing news about IE's Active X controls today, due to some legal issues with a patent Microsoft has changed the way of implementing active x controls which no longer allows for automatic start of an Active X control. The user will forced to an extra click for a Flash file to start playing.

I'm hoping I have misunderstood this but it doesn't look like it. Sounds like a nightmare to me, apparently the only way to get around it would be to use an external JavaScript which is more or less outrageous to do if you ask me.

This update will be available through Microsoft Security patches and they expect the majority to have this update within 6 months.

Can somebody please tell me I'm wrong? ;)

Here is the news at CNET:
http://news.com.com/2100-1032-6044418.html?tag=tb

Here is the MSDN article for how to "fix" this with a little JS:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/dhtml/overview/activating_activex.asp

Regards

Magnus