[thelist] Javascript orderform speed issue

Rory Lysaght rorylysaght at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 00:43:46 CST 2006

I've got a large order form that uses script to update the subtotal
automatically as soon as you enter a quantity.  The page itself is
pretty large - about 1050 products in about 11 tables.  I'm working on
slimming down that code.  But the problem I have is the speed of
updating the page subtotal.  Every time someone enters a number in the
quantity field, I need to loop through all 1050 fields to update the
page total.  In Firefox it's really zippy, but in IE6/Win it's
incredibly slow.  I'm guessing on older /slower PCs it's almost
unusable.  I've optimized the Javascript as much as I can, but I'm
wondering if anyone can explain why it's radically slower in IE, or
suggest a faster way to do this?
You can see the form here:   http://memoryboxco.com/orderform.htm

Thanks,
   Rory