[thelist] DTS Task

Rob Smith rob.smith at lexjet.com
Mon Mar 6 08:15:46 CST 2006

I've got a web report on order fulfillment that the big dogs want on a
weekly basis. Rather than me go into the report every Monday morning and
update the time range in the query, rerun the query, copy and paste it
into excel, format the document, and finally, email it to them. For most
of this, it sounds like a DTS task on SQL Server 2k would be able to
knock it out. The "catch" is that this report isn't solved with one
kill-all query. During the web report, this one master query runs, and
then in runtime, I execute another query, just as complicated as the
first one record at a time.

I can set the time frame of the query to look at the past seven days. It
would be ideal to tell DTS to go to a web page and capture the output
into an excel document, then put that on the shared drive. All I'd have
to do is retrieve the document.

Can this be done? And how?

Rob Smith
LexJet