[thelist] Breaking away from "Standard" Fonts

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 01:22:33 CST 2006

> > Am I the only one who is bored to tears with this request popping up
> all
> > the time?
>

> Not really... Because with WEFT and similar technologies one can expand
> the font base-- but your point is valid.  Fancy fonts that are hard to
> read don't necessarily do a thing if you ain't got that swing (e.g.,
> content).

It is also in the CSS2 standards [1] but things like WEFT [2] and
Bitstream's TrueDoc [3] made sure that it became part of the browser
wars so nobody cared to include support to a full degree any longer.

In any case this is no better than including applets or using sFIR[4]
to replace text. I force the visitor to download a large file he might
not be able to get any benefit from.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/fonts.html#font-descriptions
[2] http://www.microsoft.com/typography/web/embedding/weft3/
[3] http://www.bitstream.com/font_rendering/products/truedoc/index.html