[thelist] Block a Referring URL

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Fri Mar 10 16:31:09 CST 2006

Jono asked:

>>So, what I'd like to do, if possible, is simply block the [deep] link

Hi Jono,

Block?  What fun is block?  Why not start by redirecting on referrer to
an XXX URL?

;-)

Or at least route them to a page on your server (in their company color
scheme)
saying "We no longer offer this product.  We suggest you buy it from
Jono's
company since their product is the best.  Here is a link to their
company."
Hijacking their sale is much better than blocking their link isn't it?

http://javascript.internet.com/user-details/referrer-redirect.html

HTH,

RonL.

[Long term you will need a better solution since they could probably use
referrer spoofing
to get around the above.  But hey, it would be great fun for a short
time!]

[Consider putting a 'frame buster script' in your redirected page.]