[thelist] Block a Referring URL

Jono jono at charlestonwebsolutions.com
Sat Mar 11 11:50:23 CST 2006

> Jono asked:
>
>>> So, what I'd like to do, if possible, is simply block the [deep] link
>

> Block?  What fun is block?  Why not start by redirecting on referrer to
> an XXX URL?

> http://javascript.internet.com/user-details/referrer-redirect.html
>

> RonL.

Ron,

While I would love to send the incoming link to a site of my choosing, I am
dealing with an international company that is highly respected both here in
the US and Globally.  I thought it might be fun to just redirect the link to
the same page it came from, so it would just look like a broken link, and
potentially go unnoticed for a while.  It won't be long before the site in
question is forced to take the link down, so a temporary fix would be OK,
which is all it needs to be if all goes well.

I will look into the solution you suggested and see what I can do.
Company-two's site is actually a static html site, so this may work better
than the previously proposed solutions?

It still seems that the .htaccess method would be best, I just don't know
the proper syntax to make that happen?  I unsuccessfully tried a few
variations (see previous posts) of what is on this page:
http://www.ilovejackdaniels.com/apache/block-referrer-spam/

By the way, what is a 'frame buster script' ?  I'll have to wade through
Google for that one...or just use MSN or Yahoo.  I am eventually going to
redesign the site for "company-two" but I am working on another one of their
site's at the moment.  I do indeed plan to 'bust' the frames, that's for
sure.

Thanks for everyone's help thus far.

--
Jono Young