[thelist] Stop posting from fields (was: Can't submit form data with 'enter' key in IE)

VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 01:22:30 CST 2006

2006/3/15, Bill Moseley <moseley at hank.org>:

> Thanks.  Good points.  Not really related to my question, but words
> to live by, no doubt.

Welcome.

> <form onsubmit="return false;">
> >
> > will sort it out.
>
> I still don't follow that suggestion.  That prevents all form
> submissions.  No wonder you don't recommend it.

Not actually. You can use it along with a codebehind.js

Page.php:
<form onsubmit="return false;">...

Page.js:
window.onload=function(evt)
{
   var objForm = document.forms[0];
   objForm.onsubmit= Form_submit;/* or use a precooked EventHandler
   object of your choice */
};

function Form_submit(evt)
{
   var obj = new EventObject(evt);/* a cross-browser wrapper around the
event model */
   var src = obj.getSource();

   if(src.nodeName.toLowerCase()=="input") && src.id == "whatever)
   {/* other controls as necessary*/
       obj.cancelDefaultAction();
   }
   //if the above if is not entered submit action is not cancelled and the
form is submitted
   //normally.
};

HTH,