[thelist] Breaking away from "Standard" Fonts

ben morrison morrison.ben at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 08:09:15 CST 2006

On 3/17/06, Felix Miata <mrmazda at ij.net> wrote:
> On 06/03/17 05:31 kasimir-k apparently typed:
>
> > And sometimes it is more important to maintain correct branding imagery
> > and elements that provide smooth reading experience to everybody.
>
> Branding tends to involve imagery and grabbing attention, things a web
> page does with colors and graphics and h1, h2, etc. #content p shouldn't
> be where you want to place your branding. It really can't be, because
> there are too few commonly available web fonts to make any meaningful
> distinction, unless your idea of branding includes common and boring and
> overriding visitor wishes.

If users are picking their own fonts then the next step for them is to
override the font styles we set so I don't see that as a problem.

When dealing with clients, fonts are always a big issue and they
generally choose them or have branding guidelines that we have to
follow regardless of our own personal design choices. As always we use
the cascade anyway to supply a generic sans or serif face if the fonts
aren't installed.

ben.