[thelist] pricing blobs-o-bits (was: cheap software spam - how do they do it?)

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Sun Mar 19 20:21:20 CST 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 23:05 -0800, Max Schwanekamp wrote:
> If you choose to instead use alternative free or low-cost tools, you
> are likely to spend more time hunting for documentation (if it
> exists),

Usually, I just install the -doc package (gimp-doc for gimp, etc). It
doesn't get much simpler. (If I absolutely must have a printed copy,
that rarely takes longer than 10 minutes to find and order.)

> may have to pay someone $50/hr anyway to help you when you have a
> problem (or spend hours hunting through support forums), etc.

If you need support, by all means, buy it. Adobe doesn't refund any of
that $1200 if you never need the support hotline, do they?

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>