[thelist] clear form code

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Mon Mar 20 11:20:14 CST 2006

Matt Warden noted:

>>It doesn't really make sense to have none selected in a radio button
set. The options
>>in the set are supposed to represent the universe of options
available.

Hi Matt,

While I agree that the list of radio button options should be exhaustive
I am less
convinced that a default always needs to be set.

Suppose you were building an alumni contribution to athletic fund page
and wanted to
give the user a choice to earmark their $1 contribution to exactly one
of the following
programs:

() Basketball
() Football
() Lacrosse

Are any of those programs likely to agree to let one of the others be
the default?

Are any of those programs likely to let you put 'general fund' as a
generic default
and risk a chance at losing that $1?

Some situations can be more political than technical.

RonL.