[thelist] allowing for 'no selection' (was RE: clear form code)

Sarah Adams mrsanders at designshift.com
Mon Mar 20 11:20:47 CST 2006

>> If the form designer wants to allow for the possibility
>> of having no options checked, checkboxes or a select list would be
>> preferable.
>
> Radio buttons are perfect for that: just include a 'no selection'
> button. This also allows for positive confirmation that the choice 'no
> selection' was made, rather than having to wonder (programmatically, of
> course) whether they meant 'no selection' or just missed it.

This was kind of my point (although perhaps poorly expressed). Since we
were on the topic of using a Reset button because it would allow the
user to clear a radio button selection, I wanted to point out that if a
no-selection option were desired, checkboxes or a select box (with a
size greater than 1) would be better, as they wouldn't require a Reset
button to allow the user to undo checking an option.

That said, I agree that if the form designer wants to allow zero or one
options, a radio group with a "none" option (or a select list with a
size greater than 1 or with a "none" option) would work best.

--
sarah adams
web developer & programmer