[thelist] clear form code

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Mon Mar 20 16:39:34 CST 2006

John Handelaar noted:

>>Radio buttons *must* have one option selected from the group.  Like
buttons on the old car radio.

>>In this case you use a select box.  Option 1 is "Choose:" -> no-value.

>>Honestly.  This isn't something we discuss.  There's a clear right and
wrong answer here
>>and having an no radio buttons selected is the *wrong* answer.

Hi John,

I disagree.  We're not a standards organization here.  We're a group of
developers helping each other
and I think this kind of thing comes often enough to be discussion
worthy.

There are folks here with clients who don't give a '-----' about specs.
Folks with clients who
may be extremely clear and quite vocal about what they want to see.
There are also some salaried
folks here who don't have the luxury of 'firing' clients.

Within the example I provided the client would reject your 'correct'
answer ... and likely send
your boss's boss's boss a link to a USA Today poll and a question asking
why you're not clever
enough to be able to figure out how to do that for them.

<Yeah, I *have* seen that kind of thing happen (in other companies).
It's not pretty. />

Now, unless your wife & kids & pets & star wars action figures think
living in a cardboard box
under a bridge would be a really really cool adventure -- you're going
to find a solution that
makes the client happy.

[And, IMVHE, ... ignoring client requirements doesn't usually please
them.]

RonL.