[thelist] clear form code

M. Seyon evoltlist at delime.com
Mon Mar 20 19:36:27 CST 2006

Message from John Handelaar (3/20/2006 09:00 PM)

>Luther, Ron wrote:
> > Sorry.  Not allowed.  This is my contrived example.
> > The athletic department is the client here, not the end user.
> > This A.D. says "No fence sitters. Force a choice."
> >
> > Radio buttons with no default?
>
>No.
>
>Radio buttons *must* have one option selected
>from the group.  Like buttons on the old car radio.

I'm not old enough to know this - when you first bought one of those old
car radios, which button was depressed?

I do remember, on the radio in my grandfather's car, that carefully
pressing multiple buttons at the same time and releasing them slowly
resulted in all the buttons becoming unselected.

>Honestly.  This isn't something we discuss.  There's
>a clear right and wrong answer here and having an
>no radio buttons selected is the *wrong* answer.

Then why doesn't the spec come out and say "Thou shalt not have no radio
buttons selected" instead of the somewhat waffling, vague, undecisive "If
no radio button in a set sharing the same control name is initially 'on'..."?

regards.
-marc