[thelist] clear form code

M. Seyon evoltlist at delime.com
Mon Mar 20 21:21:16 CST 2006

Message from Matt Warden (3/20/2006 09:04 PM)

>M. Seyon wrote:
>
> > Then why doesn't the spec come out and say "Thou shalt not have
> > no radio  buttons selected"
>
>How about something like:
>
>"authors should ensure that in each set of radio buttons that one is
>initially "on"."
>(http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/interact/forms.html#radio)
>
>No "thou", but close enough.

3. SHOULD   This word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED", mean that there
    carefully weighed before choosing a different course.

Contrast this to:

1. MUST   This word, or the terms "REQUIRED" or "SHALL", mean that the
    definition is an absolute requirement of the specification.
(http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2119.txt)

"full implications must be understood and carefully weighed"

I think that's the end result we're all trying to get to. Discussion of
real world implementations, rationales, pitfalls.

Not "I'm not really sure why we're discussing this" or "Radio buttons
*must* have one option selected from the group" or "This isn't something we
discuss.  There's a clear right and wrong answer here and having an no
radio buttons selected is the *wrong* answer".

regards.
-marc