[thelist] Web Character Sets

Joshua Hmielowski jhmielowski at comcast.net
Tue Mar 21 11:13:55 CST 2006

I have built a custom content management system to create a site in
multiple languages. Currently it only supports the Roman character set.
These languages can be toggled by the user/visitor with the
implementation of cookies. What steps do I need to take to have the
ability to change
not only the language but to change the char set that is being used?

-What is required for a web page to display a different character set?
-When updating these characters to a web page, does your computer
need to have that language as the default for that program?
-What "meta /content-type" supports each of these characters?  or
does every language have it's own content-type charset to be
specified on each html page?

Thanks
Josh

~Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes
from bad judgment.