[thelist] Forcing a page reload when document changes?

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 21 12:23:20 CST 2006

Hey there,

I haven't done a ton of thinking about this so the answer might be right under my nose...but
here's the deal. Say I am editing an HTML document in a text editor, with the browser next to the
editor so the page is visible - and I am recording the whole thing as a kind of tutorial.

When I make a text change to the html and save it, I'd like the browser to immediately update so
the viewer can see the changes made in "real time" or close to it.

I realize there are plenty of in-page 'preview' features but that doesn't suit the project. We
want to use the editor - say HomeSite - because of the context highlighting which aids in the use
of teaching. In-page editors lack that (and I don't want to write it).

Meta refresh won't work because I don't want the page reloading without a change being made (it
would be distracting and not on queue anyway).

Any suggestions? Maybe this isn't doable, but I figured I'd give it a shot. I can also mouse over
and click "refresh" - it's just not as slick.

Tom

http://www.pixelmech.com/
http://www.crossandthrone.com/

Chuck Norris is the reason why Waldo is hiding.