[thelist] SQL Sever 2005 on a laptop

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Tue Mar 21 18:46:16 CST 2006

: -----Original Message-----
: From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org [mailto:thelist-
: bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Ian Anderson
: Sent: Wednesday, 22 March 2006 11:05 AM
: To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
: Subject: Re: [thelist] SQL Sever 2005 on a laptop
:
: James Conley wrote:
: > While I don't know the answer to you question, based on my own personal
: > experience, I would put some more memory on that machine if you plan to
: > run SQL Server on it along with other stuff and especially if you plan
: > on running two instances of SQL Server.
:
: I don't know either, but presumably this is a development environment -
: do you really think this is likely to be a problem? 1Gb of RAM is pretty
: chunky for a machine serving pages to itself, I would have thought...
:
: Given the principle that SQL Server 2000 was designed to run extremely
: scalably on a range of hardware configurations, has this design
: parameter been discarded with 2005?

Hi,

SQL Server 2000 and 2005 will run on the same machine (at least one will have
to be a named instance obviously, as you can't have two default instances).

SQL Server 2000 requires a minimum 64 MB of RAM to run. The Express Edition
of SQL Server 2005 requires a machine with 192MB of RAM. I would imagine that
the extra features of the Developer Edition would require more, but not more
than 512 MB.

I don't think RAM is the main issue - 1GB will be more than enough for a
developer machine unless you have enormous tables consuming space when loaded
into memory. The main impact would be slower startup times as SQL Server
needs to run a recovery on each database as it starts up.

Cheers
Ken