[thelist] Can I develop .NET 1.1 with VS '05?

Randal Rust randalrust at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 19:49:32 CST 2006

On 3/21/06, Ken Schaefer <Ken at adopenstatic.com> wrote:

> It might not be as clueless as I think it is, but I still don't understand
> why you'd build something if, by your own admission, you haven't got the
> necessary answers from the client about which technology platform to use.
> Whether you're getting paid notwithstanding.

That's a fair question.

We did it for several reasons, the primary one being that, at the
time, we were working on building a strong relationship with the
company that we contracted with.

Would I do this with just any client? No.

But in this case, it has worked out well. Both the client and the
other company are very pleased with how we have handled the situation.
It's also brought us more work from this company.

Even if we do end up having to rebuild (again), the client is still
willing to pay for more work.

I'd rather build a classic ASP version of this site than have built a
.NET 2.0 version that they could not use at all. 99% of what we do is
PHP/MySQL, so when we went looking at doing the conversion, we looked
at what is available from MS, which is VS 05.

When I first asked my question this morning, I was simply looking for
some validation about why we chose the route we did. VS 05 == .NET
2.0.

If OIT supported .NET 2.0, we probably would have used the Express
tools to do the job, but it's still the same problem.

--
Randal Rust
R.Squared Communications