[thelist] Any script.aculo.us users out there?

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 07:42:05 CST 2006

Hey folks,

I've been trying to implement an Effect using script.aculo.us for a couple
days, wondering if any of you have any expertise with it (no luck in finding
any active forums or discussion boards covering it). Essentially all I want
to do is use the Effect.Appear() to show a hidden div. Any other effect I
seem to trigger works fine with this div, other than Appear. I've tried both
display: none and visibility: hidden. It's really hard to tell what is
exactly going on, there are no errors, but the div does not appear. With the
prototype and scriptaculous scripts called in the page, this is the simple
code:

#overlay {
    font-family: trebuchet, sans-serif;
    background: #333;
    color: #fff;
    padding: 10px;
    position: absolute;
    top: 0px;
    left: 0px;
    width: 1024px;
    height: 768px;
    font-size: 24px;
    visibility: hidden; }

<input type="button" onclick="new
Effect.Appear(document.getElementById('overlay'))"
value="go" />

This fails in both IE and FF. My best guess is that scriptaculous does not
see the DIV for some reason, but I cannot guess why.

Tom