[thelist] MSIE, applets and classid

John Dowdell jdowdell at adobe.com
Thu Mar 23 17:44:44 CST 2006

Brent Eades wrote:
> Is there any way, using <object> in MSIE, to simply say "if the user is
> using *any* version of the JRE, go ahead and load the applet", it should
> be fine"? This is essentially how things behave with the old <applet>
> tag, but that of course has been deprecated and doesn't validate in XHTML.

I don't have the APPLET->OBJECT transition wired... just have some
context which may be useful but which would need confirmation before use.

The IE-style OBJECT differs in some ways from the W3C-recommended
OBJECT, but I'm not sure offhand how these two viewpoints on what that
tag "should" do compare & contrast with each other.

In IE-style OBJECT, the CLSID specifies which system-level component
should be invoked, and the optional "codebase" argument after this
specifies a minimum version necessary, prompting updates if either (a)
no Control with that GUID is installed; or (b) the minimum version
specified by codebase is not yet installed.

I have never read Sun's advice on "dynamic" vs "static", and can't guess
what they're trying to do by using different Class IDs. (I'd love to go
read it but don't have time to today.)

If the final goal is "Let's make the W3C Validators happy!" then have
you considered using the proven APPLET and dynamically writing this into
your HTML page via an external .JS file? This would also avoid the
interaction delay demanded by the Eolas patent which occurs in IE7 beta
and some updates of IE6. (Info on the latter subject is available at
macromedia.com/devnet/activecontent/.)

solve all these conflicts?

jd

--
John Dowdell . Adobe Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
Weblog: http://weblogs.macromedia.com/jd