[thelist] Just a quick WTF: How to cut off a number after acertainamount of decimals

Canfield, Joel JCanfield at PacAdvantage.org
Tue Mar 28 10:28:41 CST 2006

> They are the tools that stop us from having to deal with repetitive
> calculations, much like a shovel is the tool that helps us not having
> to touch dirt :)

Exactly.

My day job is to provide automation and efficiency tools so the folks I
work with can focus on their job instead of their tools. It's hard
sometimes, though, to get folks to realize that's the purpose - so many
of them think the tools *are* their job ("I run this tool, that's my
job" instead of "I provide this information to these people" or
whatever)

I know how easy it is to get caught up in toys for the sake of toys; I
do it to myself all the time. Frequently, I find that complex problems
become simply when I focus on the desired results instead of on "how do
I fix this tool?"