[thelist] Automatic Refresh [Wanderlust]

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Tue Mar 28 14:23:16 CST 2006

Rob Smith asked:

>>As I mentioned earlier, my application cannot be solved in one magical
query...

Hi Rob,

I thought you got the answer. Maybe if it was elaborated a bit?

One magic query from the 'base table data' ... No, probably not.
(Although
you can combine some of your requirements into a single query ... '1',
'2',
'7', and the second '4' look like likely candidates to start with.)

[Also, not sure about your exact system specs mind you, but '5', '6',
and
'8' look to be pretty much the same question, ('8' is optimum shipping
cost
and '5' and '6' both look like actual-to-optimum-delta), so the
processing
might be able to combine those as well.]

One magic query from a heavily post-processed 'temp table' ... Sure,
that'll work.

If it was me, I'd probably try to argue for a series of operational
reports for the worker bees in addition to the 'scorecard' report
for the exec. Maybe:

* An 'actuals' report.
* An 'opportunity lost' report or two detailing the cost impact
of mismatched inventory on shipping and handling.
* A forward looking 'inventory rebalancing' report to look-ahead
to orders due in future weeks and see if inventory is properly
aligned to fulfill those orders. {No, you didn't really ask for
that - but what's the point of measuring how poorly ops did
in aligning supply and demand if you don't give them some tools
to help them do that?}
* Probably some turn-around-time, order cycle time, fill rate
kinds of metric reports ... just because.
* More stuff like that there.

HTH,

RonL.