[thelist] AD, IIS and "single sign on" on an intranet

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Tue Mar 28 16:34:27 CST 2006

Hi,

It's not that IIS "knows" who the user is. IIS is still constrained by the
way that HTTP works. The reason it seems to work seamlessly is that IE can be
configured to attempt an auto-logon (without bothering the user) in certain
limited circumstances:
a) webserver says that it supports NTLM or Kerberos authN
b) the site is in IE's Intranet security zone (by default NetBIOS-style names
are there, but you can add FQDNs or IP addresses manually or via Group
Policy)
c) IE's default security configuration for the Intranet zone hasn't been
changed.

You can get info here on all the requirements:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=258063

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Ken