[thelist] Arabic language website and streaming fonts

Birdie bird at koolfish.com
Thu Mar 30 02:29:07 CST 2006

A website that I am in charge of production of is to have an Arabic version
of the site. The Arabic version is just as important as the English version,
probably more so because the company is based in Dubai. We need all the
usual text translated etc and also the database for searchable research,
member login etc will also have to be dual language.

Someone told me that I need to add the Arabic fonts to the server the
website is hosted on and also add components to stream the fonts to peoples
browsers. Is this correct ? I was under the impression that you just needed
to have the font installed on your machine to be able to view the text. Is
this assumption wrong ?

Thanks in advance

Lisa