[thelist] Script for M$IE only, or not

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 01:55:27 CDT 2006

> My personal $.02: Can we stop the self indulgence and thinking people
> > really care about our personal blogs and how we achieve some technical
> > stunt and concentrate on what we offer the visitors in terms of
> > information instead of celebrating ourselves?
> I see. However, people like me may not have adequate time, because
> constructing such a site - especially a site with good content and quality
> to take non-techy-savy users' attention - requires a lot of time and effort.

That is what collaboration is for. The CSS-discuss Wiki is a good
example, albeit deteriorating at the moment, too. Could it be because
we spend our time writing about how cool we are and recording podcasts
talking to other cool web developers about how adding another CSS
selector has made our lives complete?

> So, imho ymmv etc., making tens of thousands of sited "naked" for one day is
> a striking way to make people wonder "what the heck is going on the web?".

It might, but I don't see tens of thousands of pages, and I certainly
consider the restrictions ridiculous:

quote
There's not much details about it. This is merely to see if you're up
to the challenge to put your website on the line. If you run an
e-commerce website, you ought not participate; this is purely for
those with personal blogs or for those who run publications
or…whatever. All the more props to you if you run a large website!
unquote

Why not e-commerce web sites? This is the sort of wishy washy
commitment I sense a lot with these kind of ideas. Yeah, take part but
keep well out of the business arena, lord knows we don't want those
guys to get wise on web standards, do we?

So all the sites on the list are personal blogs that already dwell in
the webesign/webdevelopment arena - and I don't see that many big ones
there. I will do the roundabout test and ask in the office later today
if anyone in the PM pool or Technical Architects - the people making
decisions about what products to use to develop a site  heard about
the idea :-)

> To sum up, if you have limited time and you want to react somehow, there's
> nothing easier than renaming your /lib/css folder to /lib/hide-css/ for one
> day. It will take at most one minute!

So does buying a sandwich at the local off-license and you ensure that
it will be there tomorrow, too, instead of a big supermarket chain
outlet. Might have more impact.

> If one of my "magic" projects hold and I become prosperous enough so that I
> may not need to think about how to earn a living; I promise I will devote my
> time collaborating in those projects as well as creating my own like-minded
> projects.
>
> And I am serious on that. Really.

Nobody asks yous to do anything, you do a tremendous job answering
questions here in a well-researched and proper manner, that has a
great impact although you may not be aware of it.

And either this or an advertising campaign catered at the decision
makers OUTSIDE the design/web development community will help raise
CSS awareness. However, CSS is a tool, like a shovel is a tool or
nailclippers are, it is not a religion or something someone who does
not develop or publish on the web really cares about.
There is also no need for them to care, IMHO. There is nothing worse
than having to deliver a project with some half-knowledged guy trying
to show off by pointing out personal web sites or blog entries that
show what can be done. "Yes, I know this site has CSS image galleries,
however, yours will be maintained in .NET and with a CMS and we cannot
create one template for each image". We could though, but that will
raise the budget and the development time by 500%. Want me to
re-calculate?