[thelist] JavaScript/DOM columns solutions/ideas?

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 5 11:53:10 CDT 2006

Hi everyone,

I just picked up a new client who is developing a complex financial application, somewhat ajax
like. One aspect involves having a long list of items in 3-4 columns. You'd be able to add/remove
items and have them update dynamically.

The issue is that they are organized *vertically* in columns, not horizontally (they read up and
down, like a newspaper article with columns - not left to right).

This presents the problem of trying to add/remove one item and have the rest flow correctly to
fill in/add space. Each column has 25 items.

Their original mock has tables. Adding/removing rows is easy in one table, but we'd have 3 or 4 of
them. If i took one out of column two...

I thought of using DIVs or better yet LI elements. But the problem remains - how to get them to
flow across columns. I suppose the whole list could be rewritten but we'd like to avoid that if
possible.

I found one article on alistapart for having LIs cross columns, but it's not a great solution that
would present some serious challenges dynamically.

I realize this is a toughie, In 10 years I've never really seen it done. Any suggestions
appreciated.

Tom

http://www.pixelmech.com/
http://www.crossandthrone.com/

Chuck Norris is the reason why Waldo is hiding.